It is still work in progress (as of 13th May 2019, Q is still on Beta 3). If you're like me and use Hangouts, you will notice that you're not receiving any notifications from Hangouts messages sent to you. This doesn't happen with other messaging apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, SMS Messaging or Facebook Messenger.
After asking on Reddit, I've managed to resolve this issue on my Pixel 2 XL.
Image taken from Android Police.
Steps to Allow Notifications
- Go to Settings > Apps & notifications
- Then, tap on Notifications.
- Under this section, disable the following options:
- Automatic Notification Prioritizer
- Hide silent notification status icons
After this, your Hangouts notification should appear whenever you receive any new messages.
Thanks to ysrzlkrnn for providing the tips to fix this.